Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Can anybody explain this Klez Variant?

From: "Anders Reed Mohn" <anders_rm () utepils com>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 20:27:21 +0100

Klez has several variants. This is probably just one of them.

1) The "my_name" email address is an old excite account which
hasn't been used in over 2 years and has been disabled.

But someone, somewhere, might still have it in their address books.

The "myfriend" address was not
in my address book at this excite account.

What you had in your address book, does not matter.
This message came from a third party, who had your old address, as well as the recipients address, in their address
book.

Taken to the extreme, this might be someone neither of you
know. Someone who just happened to have both your addresses
saved. (Some email programs save addresses automatically, for
instance when replying.)

2) The return path is "my_name"@verizon.net

Dunno.. I'm guessing it's just part of the variants spoofing,
but I haven't got much in-depth knowledge of Klez.

Cheers,
Anders :)