Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: SSL workings

From: "Boyer, G. T. IT2 ISSM Office" <boyerg () enterprise navy mil>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 21:38:01 -0500

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/computer-security/ssl-talk-faq/

-----Original Message-----
From: dave kleiman [mailto:dave () isecureu com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 7:23 PM
To: trystano () aol com; security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: RE: SSL workings

Tryst,

It is kind of like dating:

1. You see some hot server you want to hang with.

2.  You go up to meet the server, talk to it, and shake its hand (SSL
handshake):
"Ok lets talk, can you Diffie?"   "Yes I can."  "Can you RC4 128?"  "No I
cannot but I can 3DES?"   "Sorry I only RC4 128".  "Goodbye"  (Negotiate
what cipher suite to use).  (ok but we will pretend she (I mean it) said yes
to 3DES.)
Now the server sends its certificate, you authenticate the server by
validating the certificate.  And now you go to the champagne room, I mean
you go sit down and talk in your private language (symmetric encryption).

3.  Now every time you talk you do so in your private session, until you
leave:
You say something it is Hashed, the "hash" (if the bar you are in happens to
be in Amsterdam) is encrypted, you send the hash and encrypted data. And
vice versa.  And you both only accept the information if all values match.

4.  Once you leave a new negotiation occurs.   New keys etc....

Of course most of the time it just ends at the "Goodbye"

Dave Kleiman, CISSP, MCSE, CIFI
dave () isecureu com
www.SecurityBreachResponse.com

"High achievement always takes place in the framework of high expectation."
Jack Kinder