Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Best practices for a small business's security

From: "Jason Balicki" <kodak () frontierhomemortgage com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:07:37 -0600

I am looking for best practices or an outline to follow for
helping a small
company to secure their business.  I've found many resources on the
technical aspects, but am hoping for suggestions for websites or books
covering the business aspects as well.  Any help would be much
appreciated.

I have no idea how useful it is yet, but I'm currently evaluating
the CERT OCTAVE-S program.  It appears to be what you're looking
for.  The guides are free and downloadable.  The full OCTAVE program
is for huge companies, but the OCTAVE-S program is for small (less than
a hundred or so employees) businesses.  It's still overkill for a
mom & pop shop, but it's something.

It's designed to put the IT people and the business people in a room
and work out a site-specific security policy, to evaluate current
weaknesses and to lay out a security implimentation plan.

OCTAVE-S is currently at version 0.9, and version 1.0 is expected
soon.

Check it out:
http://www.cert.org/octave/

HTH,