Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: locked out of XP, need file access

From: Melvin Foong <melvin.foong () codebeat net>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 18:04:59 +0800

Hi,

I have tired this utility that actually resets the password for my notebook's Windows XP. Its based on a Linux kernel that basically *resets* the password to anything you want. Its recommended that you leave the password blank when you are resetting it, and because this boot disk does modify your registry, I do recommend that you do that.

However, 1 of the problem that will cause by this boot disk is that, you may render your encrypted files useless.

I do not remember where did I get the original copy of the boot disk, but the filename is called bd30426.zip, which extracts to bd030426.bin. You will need rawrite utility to write the file to a diskette, which you can get from any Linux/FreeBSD download mirror.

Hope this helps.