Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Cached Password concern

From: "sunny budd" <sunnybudd () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 16:43:35 +0000

Hi

At the moment there is no budget in place to look at extra software to tighten laptop security though this is of interest.

My primary concern is to avoid credentials being extracted rather than to protect data - I have had a look now at SAMInside and so far have only managed to extract Hashes for local accounts not for domain accounts which have cached credentials (am I missing something?)

I can see no good reason why we use our Domain admin account in the configuration of laptops but without something concrete I will not be able to convince my department that this habit should be broken.

Thanks,