Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: IPTables Based Firewall Testing

From: "Shawn Jackson" <sjackson () horizonusa com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 14:56:31 -0800

        Really an IPTables/Netfilter equipped *NIX box is not really the
best solution for any really concerned about security. Fw on OpenBSD
still runs a better, more controllable firewall but Netfilter is
catching up. Comparing a IPTables/Netfilter firewall box against say a
Checkpoint (Nokia IPSO), Cisco PIX or even a SonicWall or Watchguard box
there is no comparison. Firewall appliances usually run an extremely
tightened version of NetBSD or another early BSD (like) system. Unlike
*NIX which can have many software packages installed with multiple
vulnerabilities. Appliances are extremely optimized to suite their task
and provide smooth operations for that task while a general OS has to
think of everything it *may* run.

        We run a Checkpoint Firewall on the Nokia IPSO (IP330) and its
rock solid and extremely secure. But when you pay $80,000 bucks for a
firewall you better be getting your moneys worth. Am I saying that
IPTables is bad, nope. I run it on all my DMZ hosts to protect them from
'behind-the-firewall' traffic. I personally use IPTables on a Debian box
at home as my firewall. But if I'm protecting a LAN with sensitive
information behind it, a *NIX box with IPtables is farthest from my
mind.

Note: CC'ed to sec-basic list due to relevancy.

Shawn Jackson
Systems Administrator
Horizon USA
1190 Trademark Dr #107