Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: WinXP Admin login

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 09:32:05 +0100

On 2003-12-14 Shah H (Comp) wrote:
The problem is that I have used the Linux boot disk and have
successfully changed the local Administrator account of the Windows XP
box (works gr8 for that purpose.)

After making this change I was able to log on with the Local Admin
account with the changed password but no longer could logon locally
using a using any Domain user account, which was working fine earlier
to resetting the password using the Linux boot disk.

To confirm the same I ran through the same process on another box
where I noticed the same problem as well and Logon locally with the
domain user account failed.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but did you change "local machine" to
"domain" in the login dialog? Local users usually cannot logon to the
domain whereas domain users cannot logon to the local machine.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers