Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Newbie HTTPS/SSL question

From: jamesworld () intelligencia com
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 20:49:40 -0600

That session -id should expire in a very short time after the connection drops or a absolute timeout value is reached.

So perhaps within that timeout period, if you "could" associate a new connection with the existing session, you might be able to do it. Alas.... we run into the random access of what you can get using a buffer overrun. I theorize, that if I could sniff your traffic and decode the SSL (:-) or know the IP of a particular user, one could cause a buffer overflow and hijack the session......of course we might also be talking about a line that was cut out of the movie Swordfish :-)

If you are in charge of the server, check the docs on the webserver software and check the values of the timeouts. try internal testing.

My guess, is that you won't find much.

The error page is dynamically created at point of serving. it dumps the session, cookie, and other asunderies that web sessions give (referrer, connection ID, operating system etc)

Anyone else out there see any thing I'm missing?

HTH,

-James