Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Reassembling IP packet Fragments w/o First Fragment

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 11:23:34 -0800

  If you force packet reassembly to occur on a router/firewall,
you can be DoSed.  If you simply forward second/subsequent
fragments, you just allow the DoS to be carried out against
somebody behind you (as well as opening them up to whatever
security issues the failure to reassemble prevents you from
detecting...).
  If you drop second/subsequent fragments that arrive before the
packet header, you risk breaking any fragmented traffic.  This
is safe only if everyone you want to talk to doesn't fragment at
the IP level.

  IP fragmentation is evil.  End nodes should set the DF ("don't
fragment") flag; network devices should honour it.

David Gillett