Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Apache AuthBasic

From: Creed Erickson <creed () mac com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:36:23 -0800

The biggest concern is local .htaccess files.

1) Be sure to disallow overrides from a local .htaccess file. i.e., IF someone were to get write access, you want to disallow them from changing access policy by creating or editing a local .htaccess file. E.G.:
        <Directory /mydir>
               AllowOverride None
         </Directory>

2) If you are using a local .htaccess file, be sure it's not writable by whatever user the httpd server runs as.

3) Make sure you disallow inspection of .htaccess.  E.G.:
    <Files ~ "^\.ht">
        Order allow,deny
        Deny from all
        Satisfy All