Security Basics mailing list archives

unable to ping behind cisco pix firewall even no deny access list

From: "Hilal Hussein" <hilalma () hotmail com>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 15:58:43 +0000

Dear List,

I have a very confusing issue concerning the ping service behind the firewall, and other issues that i will try to explain throught this message. first of all, i have a network, with a cisco pix firewall as a top boundary (it is my link to the internet) - also the connection is firewall connected via a network cable to the router of the ISP.

Till now, we are ok, let me list the problems and the crazy issues:

I can browse the internet, telnet, msn, chating, but I CAN"T do ping any internet host (like yahoo, or cnn) and also some users can't access the internet web based BANK LOGGIN ACCOUNT, and maybe other internet services!

based on the setup, can you see any reason for this problem, and any way to resolve it. if not, let me add some points that might make things clearer. Our network has been infected and still infected by a virus that is using one of the pc's to generate lots of arp traffics which is affecting the whole network throughput. could this be overwhelming the firewall buffer ? nevertheless, I reboot the cisco pix firewall, but the problem still the same, NO CHANGES.

Moreover, I am using the Kiwi Syslog Daemon software to audit logs of the pix firewall, but it is not giving anything on the screen as it is saying "unable to open UDP socket on port 514".
Please tell me, is this issue related to the aboved mentioned issue or what?
if not, how to resolve it, knowing that i installed Fport and it showed me that udp port is already used by the sytem, with no service name mentioned.

I wish you are not confused with these junk of issues, maybe it is related maybe not, but all i want to say that it happened all at once, and i am not able to figure out what could be the resolution steps.

your inputs are kindly appreicated,

don't hestitate to ask for more clarification if needed,

Regards,
Hilal