Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Identifying a computer

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 13:36:28 -0800

  If you can capture any of the packets with a sniffer, you should
be able to find the source MAC address.  In the usual case, the
network switch(es) should be able to tell you which switch port
that address originates on.
  Unless the MAC address is being spoofed, the prefix (first three
of the six bytes) will be one assigned to the manufacturer of the
network interface device or NIC.  That can provide a pretty strong
clue as to what sort of device you're looking for:  PC, Mac, SUN,
LinkSys router, etc.

  If your network isn't switched, this isn't going to help much.
If there's wireless in the network (and if there are lots of users,
one of them might have added an access point without bothering to
tell the sysadmin!), the device might be out in the parking lot.

  If the address isn't leased via DHCP, you might just block it at
your firewall or border router and see who complains.

David Gillett