Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Network Design

From: "Justin F. Knox" <jknox () indexzero org>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 19:00:34 -0400

With a firewall set up like that, you're looking at 3 interfaces (inside,
dmz, outside). If you're looking for solution with excellent support, I'd
recommend Cisco's PIX 515E with 3DES license and an additional NIC (it's
only a 2-port solution by default). Another option is to use Checkpoint's
Firewall-1 on a Nokia device, but I'll admit that I'm not all that familiar
with that product. Other companies with firewall offerings are Netscreen and
Sonicwall, both offering decent devices.

Configuration concerns to keep in mind: if you're using Exch2k, you'll be
building a front-end server for OWA. This requires an additional exch2k
server license to do. It also requires a fair amount of ports to be opened
between the DMZ and the corporate LAN, so even though this server will be
behind the firewall, it would be a good idea to use iislockd.exe, and watch
its logs rather extensively.

FTP: what software were you going to run? you could use IIS for this, but
I'd hesitate to do so. Ipswitch offers a decent FTP server product.

Corporate LAN: How many servers are there? just one windows 2000 server with
all services on it?

The Cisco product is a good solid product. Some complain about having to use
a command line to work with them, but honestly they're not that bad once you
get accustomed to them. The PIX can operate as a VPN end-point, allowing
clients to connect to your internal lan (hence the 3DES license, DES comes
standard included now).

lastly, don't forget the AV software. There was a decent thread on AV softs
last month or so...I'd recommend Symantec, McAfee, or Trend

hope that helps, and good luck!
justin