Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Exchange Server and External Access

From: <mobile () heintz us>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 18:09:43 -0400

I'm in the process of instituting the same setup but have had problems. I
originally thought that I could get away with just opening up communications
between the FE (on the DMZ) and the BE (trusted segment) servers. I presumed
that authentication would take place between the BE and the DCs, with the FE
essentially acting as a proxy.

I've found that in order for it to work I have to open up communications
between the FE and my DCs. I've validated through firewall logs that the FE
is definitely trying to communicate (LDAP, MS Authentication, etc) with the
DCs.

If I open up communications between the FE and the DCs everything works
great (having only HTTP open between the FE and the BE) but if I limit comm
to only the http between FE and BE then the FE just hangs when I try to
access OWA.

Any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong here? I've double checked and
the FE is configured as a "front end server".