Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Blocking port 4444 for W32.Blaster.Worm

From: chort <chort () amaunetsgothique com>
Date: 20 Aug 2003 09:13:08 -0700

On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 06:23, Brett Munhall wrote:

I have a quick question. If I block 4444 on the firewall or router and a
workstation uses 4444 for web traffic and it is blocked. Will the
workstation lock up or does it just retransmit the traffic on another port?

Thanks,
Brett

In my experience the connection will time-out.  If the client was a web
browser, they would need to hit refresh or click the link again.  If
it's e-mail, hit send & receive again, etc.  In recent history (last few
years) I haven't seen a client crash because a connection timed-out
(disclaimer, I don't pretend to have witnessed the effects of a time-out
on every possible client on every possible OS.  Some clients might be
lame and not handle the condition gracefully).

--
Brian Keefer