Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Syslog over Internet

From: Valter Santos <vsantola () devfusion net>
Date: 20 Aug 2003 15:16:08 +0100

On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 15:59, Vineet Mehta wrote:
I have hired a server located in a different country. I heard that its
better to log all your syslog messages on a different machine. As i dont
have access to any other machine on that network except in my own
country.

My question is how safe and efficient it is to log Syslogd messages from
my server in other country to my server in this country?

Is it really safe? is it adviced to do so, of not then why?

Grrr... That kind of solution don't seems to be very secure IMHO, since
syslog messages will say a lot about your system to any sniffer around.

I will suggest that you configure an ipsec tunnel (VPN) between the two
networks and then pass syslog traffic in the tunnel.

A good start point to learn how to configure a VPN is the FreeS/Wan
project homepage: http://www.freeswan.org/.

have fun
/valter

--