Security Basics mailing list archives

newbie with windows installer pop-up/W32 Blaster problem

From: <fjquinn () earthlink net>
Date: 20 Aug 2003 04:26:08 -0000

Hello,

I recently applied the MS patch for the W32blaster worm and used the
symantec removal tool. I am running w2k server sp2. After re-booting, i
could not get the OS to run. The system appeared to load but upon
completion it would reboot! At the time I was not aware of the problems
caused by running the patch on a w2k sp2 machine, so I tried installing an
old hard disk drive with the OS and most of my configuration. It worked
well enough to allow me to access the hard drive which was compromised by
installing the patch, but I'm now getting multiple pop-up messages
indicating that Windows Installer is "Preparing to Install". I have to
cancel each occurance of these pop-ups and I'm concerned about the
security implications. Any advice to help me clear up this problem would
be greatly appreciated.
                                         Thanks, Frank