Security Basics mailing list archives

Web bots - blocking the bad

From: "Kelley Jr, Robert" <rkelley () ritaohio com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 05:30:01 -0400

Hello...In reviewing our IIS logs we are seeing many occurrences of web
robots scanning our site.  Like all things, I am seeing there are good
robots and bad robots. I'd like to know your thoughts on spending time
implementing measures to block the bad robots from scanning and indexing the
web-site. Your opinions with a short explanation are appreciated.

bob

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is intended only for the
lawful and specified use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is
privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, printing, storing, disseminating, distributing or
copying this communication, or admitting to take any action relying thereon, and doing so may be unlawful. It should be
noted that any use of this communication outside of the intended and specified use as designated by the sender, may be
unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the Regional Income Tax Agency (R.I.T.A)
Operations Group @ 440-922-3275 or via e-mail security () rita to <mailto:security () rita to> and delete the message
from your computer.  Thank You.