Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: SSH mail server experiments

From: Meidinger Chris <chris.meidinger () badenit de>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 11:04:49 +0100

why not just give them web mail?

badenIT GmbH
System Support

Chris Meidinger
Tullastrasse 70
79108 Freiburg

-----Original Message-----
From: chris Verhagen [mailto:chrisaster24747 () hotmail com]
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 7:20 PM
To: security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: SSH mail server experiments

A week ago I started a webhosting service for subdomains at
http://crystal-ninja.cjb.net . Now, ofcourse, people need to ftp into their
public_html directory in their home dirs. I'm using proFTPd for that.
But now for the problem: I just got the idea to make a funny mail service.
People should be able to just SSH into my server and instead of a shell,
/bin/mail is loaded and they can do their thing.
I've encountered problems with that... when experimenting i noticed it
worked fine to just change /bin/bash in the passwd file to /bin/mail, but
when i do this, people cant log into the FTP server anymore...
Is there an easy solution for this problem? Remember, i only want them to be

able to use /bin/mail! No shell!