Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Network scanning: Continued (newbie)

From: Meidinger Chris <chris.meidinger () badenit de>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 11:16:19 +0100

Hello Christos,

that would certainly avoid letting the box be detected by a ping. What is
sometimes done on an IDS Sensor is using a cable with only incoming and no
outgoing wires connected. This can make a box totally silent by making
egress packets impossible on layer 1. There is also something called an
ethernet tap which can split a signal and give a second box a look at what's
going over the wire. (do not use in a full duplex environment unless you are
100% sure the second box will stay silent)

Oops, i just saw that you knew about special wiring. At any rate, the box
should be pretty silent if put that firewall ruleset on it. I am, however,
not 100% sure that it would ignore ARP requests. Maybe a firewall hero can
tell you that. If it was me i would use a special cable or a cable tap on a
covert box to be really sure that nothing could get out.

badenIT GmbH
System Support

Chris Meidinger
Tullastrasse 70