Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: stego and executable files

From: "Seva Batkin" <sbatkin () telus net>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 19:43:55 -0700

I am not sure if this is quite what Rockit was asking. Hiding information in
JPEG or any other files is relatively easy and has been done for a long
time, it also requires a decoding application on the other end.

Hiding executables in the JPEG implies that whatever you use to read the
file such as Outlook Express, Eudora, Netscape, whatever, will automatically
run the Trojan contained in the image.

How is this possible?

Seva