Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Running Sshd as non-root

From: Edward Rustin <ed () well com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 09:25:30 -0700 (PDT)

off the top of my head I'd have to say that I don't think that you can do
this.

sshd needs to ensure that programs like (say) bash startup with the right
permissions and pointing at the right home directory etc. and I can't see
a way that this could be done with out sshd runing as root.

my 1.25cents...

Edward Rustin

Director of Security, Online Guardians