Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Purging Blaster.worm

From: Schneider Sebastian <ses () straightliners de>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 23:41:11 +0200

The tool is working out fine as far as I can say. Tested it in different
environments (W2K, W2K SP3, XP, XP SP1).
Sometimes it might be helpful to kill the msblast.exe process (XP) and
rebooting the system after removing the windows auto update = msblast.exe
key.

Removing the worm manually (registry, files) works out as well.

Please notice, that MS's hotfix requires at least SP2 for W2K.

On Wednesday 13 August 2003 22:24, Andreas Rothlauf wrote:
Hi,

JG>  Has anyone successfully purged the MSBlaster worm. There is a tool out
JG> there that can do it but is it reliable?

Symantec has made a tool available:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.ht
ml

A friend told me that it works.