Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: encrypted files to ntfs

From: N407ER <n407er () myrealbox com>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 14:14:10 -0400

 > <IMHO>
The thing that you are mentioning is talking about DRA (recovery agent).
Usually administrators group have that permission which allows them to do
that. While logging in as administrator (or other DRA agent) one should be
able to decipher the data. AFAICR taking over the file(s) ownership does not
solve the case - if the new owner is not DRA then it can not correctly
decipher the data.
What is other problem is the mentioned 'lost of the encryption key' -
personally I haven't heard about that, so no real idea what to do.
</IMHO>

bests
Scibor Lapies
I believe I read that the DRA has been disabled by default in XP--the default DRA as the admin user in 2K was a pretty big vulnerability, considering that its not really that hard for a local user to break the admin account.

Good luck, though.