Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Modem connection

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:22:04 -0700

  The "proper" way for this sequence to work is something like

<three seconds no activity>
+++
<three seconds no activity>
ATH0

which would be impossible to send to you over a TCP/IP session.
But the inactivity timing is covered by a Hayes patent, and a
few cheap modem manufacturers chose not to license the patent.
  I'm surprised to hear that any of these cheap makers survived
late enough to release a 56K product!  I do think that if you
spent just a couple bucks more on a modem, you wouldn't have
this problem.

  Assuming, though, that you can't replace the modem with something
that really works,

.... Uner linux i found that that
command can be disabled via querying the modem.

  The modem doesn't care what OS you're running.  Having found
the command to disable this behaviour, add it to the dialling
(or initialization) string you use, so it happens every time
you go online.  End of problem.

David Gillett