Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows XP computer spewing packets

From: chris <chris09 () comcast net>
Date: 1 Aug 2003 17:16:35 -0000

Back when I was in school few months ago the SAME exact thing happened.
First make sure it says packets and not bytes (different versions of
windows read differently). Did you use Ethereal packet sniffer to detect
what packets were being sent? Could be some sort of broadcast storm due to
misconfigured settings etc.. Try the packet sniffer first before you do
anything else, its important to know what kind of traffic is leaving the
box before you try and fix the problem.

Chris

http://elusive.filetap.com