Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Unrecognized folder in Hotmail Inbox.

From: Jeff MacDonald <jam () zoidtechnologies com>
Date: 07 Aug 2003 13:28:54 -0400

On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 00:44, dagreat1 () hush com wrote:
heya,
I loged onto my hotmail account and was surprised to see a folder in
there.
The folder would be the last one in the "Inbox" "Trash" etc etc field
on the left side of the page.
It said, Sonrie www.sonrie.net
It was empty, and i deleted this at once.
A wise guess could be that i was using IE5 in a netcafe and might have
read a possibly malicious email, containing some script(IE force exploit
etc) which could execute arbitary code on my computer.
But then again, the making of that folder is on the hotmail servers and
requires Server side scripting.
I am a little confused.
Any Wise ideas are welcome.
Thanks.

greetings,

(1) use yahoo instead of hotmail
(2) contact hotmail customer support and ask what is going on.

regards,
--
Jeff MacDonald <jam () zoidtechnologies com>