Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Anti-Virus Software

From: "Kevin Rogers" <krogers () usmfg com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 16:45:03 -0400

I have been using Symantec AV Corp/Enterprise for several years and have
been very satisfied.  I have 13 servers, about 250 clients and an
Exchange Server.

To do the whole kit and caboodle (Quarantine Server, AMS, etc.) can be a
bit cumbersome, but once it is in place there seems to be very little to
do.  Rolling the software out to Servers and Clients is rather easy and
can be done in the background.  Doing a scan after the install pops up a
window on the client machine, but it's a one time deal.  AV updates are
in the background with no user intervention needed.  You can also lock
the AV so users cannot change any properties.  Version 8.5 seemed to
lock AV update scheduling a bit...there just doesn't seem to be as much
flexibility for scheduling.

The Exchange part got too web-based in the 8.5 version, but it functions
well.  The reporting feature is rather basic, but gets the job done.  I
just received version 8.6, but haven't looked at it yet to know the
differences.

I don't know about the other AV packages, but Symantec allows you to
install on managed or unmanaged clients and seems to have decent support
for legacy applications.

Version 8.5 also gets into (on the Exchange part) Spam and Content
filtering via subject line, sender and content.  This works, but is
cumbersome and requires a lot of tweaking so your inbox doesn't fill-up
with alerts.  I'm hoping 8.6 is better.  You can also block by
attachment type, name and size.

Hope this helps.

Kevin M. Rogers
Network Administrator