Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Accessing the File server

From: Dave Killion <Dkillion () netscreen com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 08:54:23 -0700

Kanwar,

There'll always be a 'hitch' with security - even the most commonly-used
'secure' protocols (SSL, SSH, etc) occasionally will have security
problems.  The best you can do is pick something appropriately secure, and
then keep tabs on it - make sure it's up to date, and monitor it for
suspicious activity.

I'd recommend SSH as a secure way of sending files.  This service may
already be installed on your server by default - it's a common service to
have running.  There are a variety of programs that support this protocol
in file-transfer mode - Putty (Free-as-in-Beer) has a pscp command-line
program to transfer files, while SSH Corporation's client (Not Free) has a
slick drag-and-drop very similar to Explorer.  If you have other POSIX
OS's in your environment (Linux, *BSD, Solaris, etc) then the OpenSSH
client is for them, and also comes generally pre-installed.

Check out OpenSSH at www.openssh.org.

Good luck!

I hope this information is helpful,

Dave Killion
Senior Security Engineer
NetScreen Security Group, NetScreen Technologies, Inc.