Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: sobig.F

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:53:01 -0700

  Well, early release notes from the developer (I'm being
facetious, folks!) suggest that best results will come from
educating users, blocking or shutting down unused ports and
services, and installing something like MIME-defang to
filter/block executable attachments at the email server.
Making sure antivirus is kept up to date on every machine
wouldn't hurt.

  (No, really.  The scary stuff I've seen about "next Sobig
version" is not based on any hard information, only on
speculation about how much worse it could be made.  The
simple measures above, if more widely adopted, would have
significantly reduced the impact of the current outbreak.)

David Gillett