Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: session-hijacking is still available?

From: John Fastabend <jfastabe () up edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 00:37:11 -0700 (PDT)

Hello, all.

Hello.

if attacker can do session hijacking, he can know the seq number change,
ack seq number change something like that.

Only if he is spoofing from somewhere where he can sniff this information
off the wire. For example if he is on the same network or has manipulated
routing information so that the packet is passed through his system on its
way to its destination.

But I have heard that modern system like linux kernel 2.4.x or openbsd
produce almost random seq number, so session hijacking is almost impossible
thesedays.

is it true or not?

Most operating system engineers have caught on to the fact that the random
number generator for initial sequence numbers is not good enough and have
fixed this.  This will not stop an attacker though from session hijacking
if he has the packet going through his computer on the way to its
destination because all he has to do is read the ack and seq numbers as
they go through his computer.  It does though make it significantly harder
to predict the sequence numbers of packets that are not passing through
your computer.  This is called blind spoofing.  The problem before was
that I could guess what the next number was going to be and then I didnt
even have to see the packet at all.  This is very bad. So some people have
been trying to fix this.

anyone still can session hijacking using session hijacking program like
hunt?
I've never used hunt before so I dont know.  But, i would guess almost any
session hijacking program will be able hijack a session when it can read
the packets off the wire(it's trivial).  Whether or not it can hijack or
start spoofed sessions from hosts where it can't see the packets I dont
know.  It is possible for some operating systems. I've done some research
on blind spoofing Windows 98 and an older linux kernel and been sucessful.
So it is possible whether or not hunt can hijack blindly depends on the
sophistication of the program and what OS it is trying to hijack i would
think.

Thanks in advance.
 no problem if you have any more questions send me an email. :)

John Fastabend
University of Portland
Computer Engineering Major

http://www.msn.co.kr/fortune/default.asp

SurfControl E-mail Filter puts the brakes on spam,
viruses and malicious code. Safeguard your business
critical communications. Download a free 30-day trial:
http://www.securityfocus.com/SurfControl-security-basics

--
--
"Dependence on computers is apparently making a significant fraction