Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Proxy/cache server for Patches

From: "Chris" <chris () implexantsystems com>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 10:13:26 -0800

As far as Windows machines go... we generally use HFNetChkPro4 to push
patches to clients and servers. It's worked well so far. If you have
another box you could setup your own SUS server. Downside is that it
only works for 2000 and XP machines. More info on the SUS server here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/windowsupdate/sus/ Your best bet at
keeping the servers patched at this point is to put patches in a central
location, and then make sure the LAN managers patch their boxes. There
is no excuse for an unpatched server, bump them back to help desk if
it's that bad ;-)

Chris
ImplexantSystems.com
chris () implexantsystems com