Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: UNTRUSTED signature in GPG

From: Ray Stirbei <me () highentropy org>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 20:23:18 -0400

Fernando,

The reason the key is marked 'untrusted' is becuase PGP doesn't know who the
person behind the key is. What stops me from making a key, calling it
'Fernando Shayani' and using to email people? PGP signatures certaintly
ensures the integrity of the message, which is why the signature is labeled
'good'.

When you are dragging a key from 'untrusted' to 'trusted' you are telling PGP
that you know for sure that this key belongs to this person. You can look up'
PGP web of trust' to get more information.

When you check your Yahoo email using SSL, you are using Verisign, a
Certificate Authority. Your browser trusts Verisign and in turn Verisign
assures your browser the key does indeed come from Yahoo.

Those are the two most common ways to deal with trust in key management.

Hope that helps

ray