Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Authenticate systems before getting a DHCP IP?

From: Kevin Guidry <thekevbo1 () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 10:40:18 -0800 (PST)

--- kyle () kylelai com wrote:
Does anyone know how to authenticate systems or
users prior to give them a
DHCP IP?

   Several universities use a product called NetReg to
do just that for the campus networks (particularly in
the residence halls).  To make the matter slightly
confusing, there are at least two seperate products
developed by different groups called NetReg.  I
*think* that one was developed at Carnegie Mellon and
the other at Southwestern, but I could be mistaken.
They're both opensource and very reliable and robust
once set up properly (tens of thousands of college
students hammer these products on a daily basis).

Kevin Guidry
ResNet Coordinator
University of West Florida