Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Zenworks

From: Steve.Kirby () sealedair com
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 11:04:16 +1100

Lee Anne,

We are a Novell shop from way back. Currently running NetWare 5.1 and have
global projects starting up for the implementation of e-Directory. We have
been rolling out Zen in certain regions for a few months now and the users,
tech support guys, HelpDesk, and management are ecstatic.

We now have the ability to 'lock down' certain functions on the desktops
and laptops - users cannot change their environment, cannot alter IE
settings, cannot load programs, cannot run 'admin' type programs, or change
settings (like comms). We now have an integrated 'PCAnywhere-type' remote
control of all units, inventory is a breeze, and rolling out new software,
updates, patches is a fully automated process, and all pushed software is
'self healing'. We now just format a HD, 'ghost' a base image (determined
by hardware type), and Zen does the rest - installs all software that the
user is entitled to.

Zen for Desktops is great. Zen for Servers will be piloted by us later this
year - total administrative control of servers no matter what platform they
run!! Centralised management at it's finest. And a fresh rumor from
Brainshare yesterday - e-Directory will be running on Linux within a few
months!

Hope this helps in your decision making.

Regards,

Stavros

                      "Hart, Lee Anne"

                      <lhart () mc cc md.         To:      <security-basics () lists securityfocus com>

                      us>                      cc:

                                               Subject: Zenworks

                      04/17/2003 01:51

                      AM

We are implementing Zenworks and I am interested in hearing other
peoples experience with that product in terms of any added security
benefit and/or increased security risk as well as your opinions of the
product.  Thanks, Lee Anne

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Europe, May 12-15 in Amsterdam, the
world's premier event for IT and network security experts.  The two-day
Training features 6 hand-on courses on May 12-13 taught by professionals.
The two-day Briefings on May 14-15 features 24 top speakers with no vendor
sales pitches.  Deadline for the best rates is April 25.  Register today to
ensure your place.  http://www.securityfocus.com/BlackHat-security-basics