Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Automated analysis of logs?

From: "Tomasz Onyszko" <T.Onyszko () w2k pl>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 20:12:28 +0200

W dniu Tuesday, April 08, 2003 7:27 PM [GMT+1=CET],
Mark G. Spencer <mspencer () evidentdata com> napisaƂ:

Hi
Are there any open-source applications that I can drop various kinds
of logs
into (especially IIS logs) and get not only statistics, but
information
and/or "warnings" about various kind of known activity?  Things like (...)

I know some people are more proactive about this and stick a Snort box
upstream, but in most cases I am responding to an event where the
deed has
been done and I can't go back in time, so I only have logs available
to me.

If there are no OS solutions, is there a well regarded commercial
product
that can do this?

I've found lately a tool form Microsoft called LogParser which  I think can
be helpfull for You. This tool allows You to query log files in SQL way and
save output in some various format like XML, IIS log or directly to the SQL
database table. I think Log Parser connected with SQL server and some batch
files let You develop some custom log analusis solution. LogParser can bo
downloaded from this location:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=8CDE
4028-E247-45BE-BAB9-AC851FC166A4

Best regards
Tomasz

--
Tomasz Onyszko - T.Onyszko () w2k pl
http://www.w2k.pl/

Is SPAM over-loading your e-mail server, disk space or bandwidth?
SurfControl E-Mail Filter is flexible, intelligent and policy-driven
protection.
http://www.securityfocus.com/SurfControl-security-basics2
Download your free fully functional trial, complete with 30-days of free technical support.
Stop SPAM before it stops you.