Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Email Encryption Between Servers

From: "Garbrecht, Frederick" <FGarbrecht () ecogchair org>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 12:52:11 -0500

Since you're doing this to comply with HIPAA, then you and your partner
companies most likely already have firewalls in place; why don't you set up
a gateway to gateway vpn between your company and each of your partners to
provide transparent encryption services for your smtp traffic.  You can set
up the appropriate routing and FW rules so that only the mail going to your
partners gets routed through the encrypted tunnel, the rest would get sent
out as usual.  Decryption would occur transparently on the distal gateway,
and then the unencrypted email would then be passed to the partners smtp
server for delivery.  You can certainly do this with Checkpoint and PIX; you
can probably also rig something up using the Windows native ipsec, although
I've never done this.

Good luck,
Fred