Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: encrypt ftp service?

From: Brad Arlt <arlt () cpsc ucalgary ca>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 10:14:57 -0600

On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 02:05:33AM +0000, SB CH wrote:
Hello, all.

As you know, basic tcp/ip based service is throught plain text.
So I use ssh instead telnet, and sslwrap with pop3 etc.
But I have no idea about ftp encryption method.
using sslwrap, I can't use ftp service because ftp use two port.
Do you know any method how to encryption ftp service?

Thanks in advance.

Their is an IETF Draft (hopefully an RFC by now, but I haven't looked
in a while) on the matter.

Their solution was to use TLS, which nicely gets around the two socket
problems (although so does application SSL support... but I like TLS
better :)

ProFTP had a patch (may have been integrated into main package by now)
that implimented the Draft.  The chalange is for you to find a client
that supports that Draft.

http://www.proftpd.org

Or use sftp.  It is a sub-module of ssh (v2 protocol).  It isn't FTP
though.

Or if this is infrequent, anonymous FTP with PGP encoded files.
   __o          Bradley Arlt                    Security Team Lead
 _ \<_          arlt () cpsc ucalgary ca                University Of Calgary
(_)/(_)         I should be biking right now.   Computer Science