Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Physical Firewalls VS NAT

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:58:18 -0800

From: "Rick Darsey" <rdarsey () aims1 com>
I am doing some research for one of my clients.  They have requested a
physical firewall installed on their network. They are already >running a NAT'ed network behind a LinkSYS router.
In this situation, what benifits, if any, will the physical firewall
provide? The LinkSYS router already does port filtering and >forwarding, and blocks incoming WAN requests. This is my understanding of what a firewall does. Granted, the firewall will be >more granular, but is it necessary, or just redundant?

Can't stress this strongly enough, A ROUTER IS NOT A FIREWALL. That said, if they have no critical data, can handle a reasonable amount of downtime for rebuilding their network if they're hacked, and have no money, then maybe its not worth it, otherwise I strongly recommend putting in a firewall. Here are a few points as to why this is better:

1) A router is designed with the idea of assisting communication, while a firewall is designed with the idea of limiting it.

2) Firewalls can do stateful packet inspection

3) As you mentioned, firewalls have more granular control, allowing you to control traffic both ways for example.

4) Many cheap routers have "backdoors" or "administrative passwords" which allow the company techs to get in regardless of what you've set since, these can often be found on warez sites.

5) The default settings on linksys routers (which can come up after a power loss for example) are not secure.

6) Linksys routers have no logging capability.

7) NAT is no protection unless you have a method of dropping source routed packets.

If the client is worried about the cost, put together an old box running a firewall specific distro of linux. If they're running M$ boxes, you could easily slap in a few copies of ZoneAlarm Pro and have them up and running in under half an hour if its extra work that you're worried about.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Ok, so the servers are down, the lights are out, and all I have to work with is a roll of duct tape, a ball point pen, a lighter, and a twenty year old copy of emacs. Where's the problem? "

Choose an Internet access plan right for you -- try MSN! http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/default.asp