Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: TCP DNS requests

From: "Mike Powell" <mpowell () mijk dnsalias com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 22:56:44 -0000

Carl

I believe that DNS lookups use UDP because the request and response can
each fit into one packet.  If a DNS request is for some reason larger
than 512 bytes which is the maximum size for a UDP packet (RFC1035 [6])
then the client will use TCP instead.  Closing this port to internal
clients could therefore prevent some DNS lookups.

Why some lookups would be larger I guess would depend on the length of
the domain name contained in the packet(s)?

Mike Powell
Barry College
Wales
mpowell () barry ac uk