Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: WIRELESS THEFT

From: "Greg van der Gaast" <greg.van.der.gaast () ordina nl>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 09:01:01 +0200

I don't see how inadvertently receiving *any* kind of signal could be
considered theft. Actually making use of that signal is a somewhat
different yet difficult issue. An Internet connection is being sent
through your home where you can receive it. Considering this is open
Internet access being given out for free (albeit for another audience) I
think it'd be difficult to make a case making you tapping into it
illegal. If someone tries to place such far-fetched charges you could
counter-sue that they are pushing their Internet infrastructure through
your residence.

If you're worried, don't use the network connection. But frankly I think
it'd be hard to fight legally, it's a free service anyway, chances are
practically null that they'll ever notice, and I doubt they have the
equipment/knowhow to locate you in the first place.

In other words, have fun!

Greg van der Gaast
Ordina Public West
Security Services