Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Internet Adult (illegal) Content Filtering - request for opinion

From: girardot <girardot () mac com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 15:47:35 -0500

youch. stay away from closed source security products if you can. esp the
super secret snake oil varity.

have a look at dansguardian. it will probably do 99% of what you need. and
about the only OS it doesn't run on is that security nightmare windows
anyversion.

http://dansguardian.org/

here is a more straight forward description of what a content filter does
from the DG website:

"It filters the actual content of pages based on many methods including
phrase matching, PICS filtering and URL filtering. It does not purely filter
based on a banned list of sites.
Uses a very intelligent algorithm to match phrases in web pages mixed in
with HTML code and white space.
It has the ability to switch off filtering for specified sites, parts of
sites, browser IPs and usernames.
Uses an advanced phrase weighting system to reduce over or under blocking.
Can filter sites using the PICS labeling system.
Can filter according to MIME type and file extension.
Can filter according to URLs including Regular Expression URLs.
URL filtering is compatible with squidGuard black lists.
The URL filtering is able to filter https requests.
Can block specified source IPs and usernames.
Can block or limit web uploading
Big5, Unicode and top-bit set characters can be used in search phrases.
Can work in a 'whitelist' mode where all sites except those listed are
blocked.
Can block all IP based URLs.
Is able to block sites when users try using the IP address of the site
instead."

its integrated with a few firewall products as well and you can buy
commercial support for installation, training and maintenence.
and works like a charm with a squid proxy for added benefits of local
caching.

if you like it and it works for you please be sure to take the money you
save not buying a commerical product and be sure to donate to the DG author,
he deserves it for helping out so many schools and libraries (what it was
first designed for).

most of the made up buzzword like stuff below would probably apply to DG as
well. and it doesnt make it just look like the browser crashed.

i have nothing to do with DG, just a very happy user.
hth,
cheers,