Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Survey: Chat and IM

From: Zinger <zinger () zinger org>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 01:41:39 -0500

We use the AIM protocol (although with some restrictions - no inbound file transfers - and Trillian, which supports encryption), and it's a valuable part of our business tools. If we were to remove this feature, it would be a noticeable detriment to employee's productivity. The most important consideration with every security restriction is vulnerability vs functionality. My company is an ISP, if I were responsible for the security of a financial organization, I'd lock everything down as tightly as possible.
Something to think about is setting up an internal IM server as a compromise.

- Z