Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: *nix firewall setup

From: Devdas Bhagat <dvb () users sourceforge net>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 11:55:02 +0530

On 26/11/02 09:20 -0800, jh wrote:
Having never set one up before and only having a little knowledge of linux
where can I go to get a basic tutorial that just covers firewalls and linux.
http://www.linuxguruz.org/iptables/howto/iptables-HOWTO.html
http://www.google.com/search?q=iptables+howto
Search on freshmeat.net for firewall building tools.

Or if you want to try out OpenBSD, there is a pf HOWTO on deadly.org

If you want to get really funky, look on samag for dead firewall. Thats
a shutdown Linux box running as a firewall.

I know there are a million pages of text out there on linux and firewalls
but i am under a slight time constraint and need a step by step with
explanations or something similar for now.

Any1 know of any sites or texts to get that would do this?
Use one of the automated tools, or use webmin. http://www.webmin.com
Ensure it listens to an internal ip only, use the host control and a
firewalling ruleset.