Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: IP Session Hijacking And Spoofing

From: "simsjs" <sims () interex org>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 13:28:22 -0800

Charles,

Here is a clip from an article in network magazine:

Source routing can be strict or loose. Strict source routing lets a manager specify the path through all the routers to
the destination. Return responses use the same path in reverse. Loose source routing lets managers specify an address
that the packet must pass through on its way to the destination. It is loose source routing that aids an attacker.

You can find the entire article at http://www.networkmagazine.com/article/NMG20000517S0167

There is also a really good book called "Hackers Beware" that goes in detail over session hijacking and IP address
spoofing that might help you understand a little better.

Glad I could help.

Jeff