Security Basics mailing list archives

Part of the web page being MODIFIED !

From: Frank Cheong <chocobofrank () hotmail com>
Date: 25 Nov 2002 04:37:14 -0000

I got one serious question that is I received complains regarding one of
the image on my web site has been modified by a PORN picture ! While the
image have resumed normal during the second visit.

After receiving the complains, I have of course double checked the GIF
image's filesize and date timestamp found that it is completely normal.
Therefore, the image haven't been modified. So I do want to know what is
the possibilities in doing this ?
(Like HTTP session hijack, proxy poisoning, someone doing man in the
middle etc) any other ways to do that ?

As these activities mostly happens outside my server boundry, I assume I
can't do anything with it, how about any outside parties ?

As I know going for SSL maybe one of the alternative to stop this but this
will add on extra processing on my website and it will make it slow. So I
don't want to go for it, any other way to secure against this ?