Security Basics mailing list archives

icmp echo-requests?

From: JR <jr () secureity de>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 09:21:10 +0100

Hi everyone,

in my firewall logs I see a lot of echo-requests within the internal network. Of course, the simplest answer to these
events is that pings are causing these events. But on these machines definitely no pings are startet to that times. Is
it possible that other kind of programs  are using echo-requests? What kind of programs are using echo-requests and
why? Checking wether the other host ist up? What if the firewall is filtering echo-requests? The program would think
that the host is down...

Greetings!
JR

Erster Klick - SMS versenden, zweiter Klick - die Telefonnummer im
Adressbuch speichern bei: http://freemail.web.de/features/?mc=021151