Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: NewBie:cryptography : DES vs Blowfish?

From: "Naman Latif" <naman.latif () inamed com>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 11:06:30 -0800

Blowfish uses a Variable length key (32-448 bits) as compared to 56-Bit in DES.
It depends what key length you choose with "blowfish". As far as I know, with the same key length blowfish is faster
than DES.
I would assume that security would depend on choosen key length, as it would take more effort to decode a message
encrypted with a larger key.
Some other encryption algorithms to consider are AES (secure as 3-DES and faster), IDEA (not free for commercial use).

Regards \\ Naman