Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Contractors on Company Networks - Network segregation

From: "Bill Lavalette" <billl () cyberbase7 com>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 09:27:02 -0600

Willie -

We too were faced with this issue. Here are the things we did to somewhat
lock them down..

first we determined what internal resources they needed I.E. printer access
internet access etc etc..

using NT we brought them on the domain with timed access from x to y for
instance if the contractor was to work for 8am to 5pm at 5:01 access was
terminated. and internal resources were denied

the other thing that is vital is that all contractors sign a NDA this will
give you the legal leverage should something go wrong.

that was for contractor needing internal access.

for contractor needing only internet access a separate subnet was created on
the firewall. this subnet had one dhcp server and a handful of IP's all
access from this contractor net was denied to internal resources and all
they were allowed to do is use the internet.

Depending on your security policy one of the things that you might want to
add if its not already in place is that the business owner of the project
that requires the contractor needs to make all requests to the MIS
department prior to the contractor arriving on site. within this request
would be the criteria for the work to be done.

Access time start - finish
level of internal access
project managers name
and a director sign off.

in the event that something bad goes wrong there is a chain of
responsibility that if properly followed will save you many headaches when
the finger pointing starts.

This has worked fairly well for us I hope you can find some of it useful for
your own situation...

Regards,

Bill Lavalette
Chief Security Officer