Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Open All Outbound Ports?

From: Louis Erickson <LErickson () ariba com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 10:39:03 -0800

By using a proxy at your NAT gateway, you can allow passive ftp from inside
the firewall to work properly.  You need more than port mapping to do it,
but it can be done.  OpenBSD and Linux's firewalls both do this
transparently, I believe, at least for people inside trying to use FTP to
the outside.  It doesn't allow FTP back in, or didn't last time I tried.

I will admit that my personal network (nothing to do with Ariba, who's
network configuration I don't know, and don't care as long as the things I
need to do work properly) has all outbound ports open, via NAT.  Incoming is
heavily filtered, but once you're in, you can connect to anywhere.  I'm too
lazy for myself and the other users of my resources to try and specifically
allow anywhere they might connect to.  (In this case irc, muds, online games
and such which tend to have ports all over the map as well.)  To help limit
this, I make sure my (very small group of) users is educated about what not
to do, and insist upon good virus scanning software.  So far, so good.

While I do see the risks inherent with this, I don't know a good way around
it that will allow people to use all the myriad and unusual pieces of
software they want to use.  There's a risk assessment you have to do, and to
decide what you solve through technology, and what you solve through policy.
If you can't trust your staff to follow policy, that's a different problem
that no technology will ever be able to solve.

I also suspect that there are a lot of networks that allow any outbound
connection from the private LAN, despite the misgivings of their security
staff.  Again, it's risk management and assessment; yes, it's risky, but not
doing it irritates the other thousand people at the company, or even
prevents them from doing their work successfully - what choice will
management make?

Sometimes they do choose security; I was at a large computer company where I
had to work from home; the corporate firewall wouldn't allow me to connect
to our customer's sites the ways I needed to, and they wouldn't budge on
opening ports.  We also had to use application level FTP and Telnet proxies,
and to set the web proxy in our browsers; I don't think they allowed any raw
network packets across.  So, I had to work from home, and they covered part
of my DSL.  They had decided security was worth that cost in the few cases
where the employee could really justify it.  I later discovered that this
was not common to the whole company, and only done at sites where they did
work requiring government classifications; it was quite a shock to traveling
employees that instant messaging didn't work.

Other times they don't, and you have to be ready to cope with that.  Make
sure they understand it's a decision they're making, and that they may have
to live with the consequences, and do what you have to do.